The developmental program of Two-way language is also known as the bilingual immersion programs as well as dual language program. These programs are intense and full time and use two languages for instruction and learning.
Most of these programs consist of students that speak a native language such as Spanish and are attempting to learn a new language such as English. In both elementary and high schools, these programs are prevalent and very active. Half of the class of students consists of some Spanish students and some English students who are native speakers of their language.
The student learns the language through their native language as well as through the second language that they are trying to learn. The student uses this two way method of learning to be more astute and proficient in both languages, but it helps them to develop their skills in the second language.
The two-way language program is more geared towards bilingual education than it is for students who are limited in their proficiency in English. It is an enrichment program that gives student a better understanding between two languages. Students who are not as proficient in English will feel like they are equally educated to their peers and it helps them to excel in their education.
The Two-Way language development program is more effective if it:
1. Allows for participation in both languages
2. Focuses on subjects that are academic
3. Incorporate the curriculum for both languages
4. Allows student to use the language learned in their home
5. Empowerment of students with active learning
6. Use the minority language sufficiently
7. CALP development
The Two-Way Language acquisition program has two primary goals and that is:
1. That Minority Students will learn things in their own languages as well as in the second language.
2. Those Majority students will increase their level of language proficiency in the second language while progressively developing in the native language.
Students in both groups of language learning will have an academic performance at the grade level that they are at ad develop attitudes that are confident and positive towards learning the two languages.
It is important that the two-way language program last for up to six years to ensure proficiency in essentially the second language.